Sunday, May 8, 2011

Seasons of Mother's Day

Sometimes I don't like 'commercialized' holidays...like Mother's day!  In a way it seems we are pressured into stopping to celebrate the special people in our lives, but maybe that's a good thing.  Since I'm reflective, holidays usually make me stop and think as well...so maybe they do serve a purpose.  This mother's day I am full of joy unspeakable, however that has not always been the case for me.  Yesterday as my girls were decorating cards for all their "grandmas" I had time to reflect over the seasons of mother's day in my life.  I felt led to comfort those in any trouble with the comfort I have received from God (2 Cor 1:3-4).  May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope,  encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

As an adult, one of my first seasons of mother's day was that of 'celebrating' mother's day without my momma!  Last year for mother's day I was with our youth at church; they were encouraged to write a letter expressing their gratitude to their mom and then read it to her!  Wow! I wish I had that wisdom at their age.  Yesterday, I wrote my mom a letter.  I won't be able to read it to her, but it was very good for me to write it and realize that God chose my mom to be my mom!

Another season of mother's day for me was when I desired children, but was still waiting.  I know there are many women in this stage, whether young and just married, or older-having tried to conceive for several years.  While I was waiting, I prayed that God would remove the desire from my heart if children were not His will for my life.  The desire never left, and I was comforted by this promise.  He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD. Psalm 113:9 

After my having my first child, I experienced a miscarriage.  It was a painful time, but looking back now I know it drew me closer to the Lord.  When something inexplicably negative happens you only have two choices: run to Him or run away from Him.  I am thankful that in running to Him I received His comfort.    There are many mothers who have experienced the death of a grown child, a miscarriage-or anything in between who can relate to a season of mother's day when dealing with loss. he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; Isaiah 25:8a
They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away Isaiah 35:10 
May this letter comfort you today (click here)

I don't have teenagers yet, but already I see the rebellious nature of children!  Mothering is hard work and there are seasons of struggling-whether losing our joy or dealing with a rebellious child!  Here are some encouraging promises from God's word if you are in a struggling season this mother's dayAll your sons will be taught by the LORD, and great will be your children’s peace.  Isaiah 54:13
Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. Isaiah 43:5
He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11
Remember you are not alone in the journey of motherhood!  So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:10

This year, as I said, I am celebrating mother's day in a season of joy! It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. 2 John 1:4  I am realizing that Jesus made me a virtuous woman!  He gave me all I need to be a good momma!!  But this is nothing I've done-it's all because of Jesus!  I am learning to trust what he says about me instead of trying to be what he says is already true about me(see Philippians 3:16) Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying], Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all.  Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised! Proverbs 31:28-30 I'm realizing that Proverbs 31 is true of me because when Jesus shed his blood for me and I trusted in his sacrifice, I exchanged my sin for His righteousness!!!! Proverbs 31(and all God's promises) are true for you when you put your trust in Him! 

Happy Mother's Day!!! May you celebrate this 'commercialized' holiday in a season of joy unspeakable!  If you are in another season this mother's day I pray you will run to Jesus and believe that Joy will Come!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...