Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hot Dog

It's HOT here!  Last week several men were in the heat all day (and all night in some cases) to make hot rod camp a success by sharing the love of Christ with 10 boys.  A week ago Saturday we got to hear the start up of the 1923 T bucket and the 1997 sportster that the youth from Tulsa Boys Home put together that week at Hot Rod Camp with the guidance of some dedicated men (including my husband!!!).  It was awesome for me to hear my husband address the crowd and tell the kids that the bike was cool but the reason they were there was to share the love of Christ.  It was also great to hear those same boys tell of the week as the best of their lives!  Last Sunday my heart was so happy hearing my husband speak in front of our church family telling what Hot Rod Camp had meant to him. 


1923 T Bucket that was restored during HRC 2011

Seeing the men work on this project had me thinking alot about my daddy.  This is something he would have LOVED to do.  He had a 1916 Model T (and some others I can't recall) that he had planned to restore before he died.  As I thought about how much I respect the men working at hot rod camp, I realized that I hadn't really respected my daddy.  Recently, I had a conversation with my baby brother about our daddy and I was amazed at the nice things he had to say about daddy.  That led me to think about how I saw daddy and what needed to change. 


One of the cars Daddy had around 1990
After realizing that I didn't properly respect my daddy while he was here on earth, I recalled this verse:
Where there is no vision [no redemptive revelation of God], the people perish; but he who keeps the law [of God, which includes that of man]--blessed (happy, fortunate, and enviable) is he.  Proverbs 29:18 I never had a redemptive revelation of my daddy....meaning that I never saw him through the blood of Jesus.  I saw him as an alcoholic and experienced that rejection as his little girl. 

I thought that I had forgiven him, but I see that it wasn't complete before now.  Even though my daddy wasn't able to meet all my needs as a little girl and made many mistakes-he is forgiven.  He put his trust in Jesus and became sober shortly before he died.  I saw the change and try to always remember those times, but never really let go of the hurts from before that time. When my daddy but his trust in Jesus, he was made brand new!!
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17
Because daddy trusted in Jesus he was justified...it's just as if he'd done everything right.   This is what Jesus did for me when I fully put my trust in Him, it's what He did for my daddy when he trusted him, and it's what He will do for all who call out to Him and fully trust in His finished work on the cross for their salvation! 
Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs. Isaiah 61:7
My daddy and I ~1978
On this father's day I am thankful for my daddy.  I am thankful for the grace to fully forgive him and I choose to see him through the blood of Jesus.  Daddy was a hard worker and did his best to care for his family.  I think if he were still alive today his life would demonstrate the righteousness Jesus gave him. 
I am thankful for my husband who is a wonderful daddy to our precious girls.  I am thankful for the redemptive revelation of him- that he is the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus and that I can teach my girls to respect and admire him. 
  
My family with Harley that was customized at HRC 2011

On a lighter note...the title of this post comes from one of Aleigha's prayers.  This two-year old's prayers are just precious, as seems she usually just copies what she has heard prayed before.  One of her prayers last week was "Amen God made hot dog camp, Amen God made my daddy work hot dog camp".  Obviously, not knowing what Hot Rod camp was, she just filled in with a word she knew and gave us many giggles:)! Yep-she says her Amen first, it's really cute to her momma, she's done it like this since she first started praying by herself.  Now that I think about it, it's really neat-she's saying she believes what she prays before she even says it! For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...