Thursday, June 9, 2011

Enchanted

I was up very early Sunday morning with a sick little one, so we snuggled on the couch and watched Enchanted.  In case you don't know me, I am NOT a movie kind of girl!  So for me to watch a movie more than once is rare (of course my kids watch the same videos over and over, but I am usually doing something else after the first viewing).  The first time I watched Enchanted was on a trip to Dallas with students a few years ago...I had nothing to do but watch the video on the bus ride, although I was not fully watching it and didn't get to see the ending.  I was surprised at how God used it to teach me the first time I saw the movie (read the post here)
Seeing the ending of the movie made me sad Sunday. This time when I finished the movie I had some of the same negative thoughts I usually do about movies (waste of time, etc...).  I'm not really sure what emotions it brought up...but not good.  In fact, kind of put a damper on my day until I realized I was thinking so negatively and took my thoughts captive.  This writing is an attempt to sort out the negative feelings and bring them into the light of Jesus.  (It's not a new movie, but if you've not seen it and don't want to ruin it, watch it before you read on. Even if you've not seen the movie, I hope that you will still benefit from this writing).

Here's what I think I got out of it: We are like Giselle-made for our Prince (Jesus) but when we spend too much time in the world, we give up on our first love.  After being in NYC, Giselle began taking on their customs and was not as enchanted with her prince.  She spent too much time with another man and fell in love with him.  Have we done that-spent too much time with the world and desire what it has to offer more than we want what Jesus has to offer? 
Even though the movie seemed to end with a 'happily ever after' since the prince found a new bride and Giselle chose a new groom...it left me sad! I don't want to loose my first love!  I was comforted when this verse came to mind:

To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. Jude 24-25

He will keep me from loosing my first love! I want to fall more deeply in love with Jesus every day and let the fascination with the world grow dim.  I don't want to settle for less than my Hero-my Jesus.  I want to be ready when He comes for me and this promise remind me that he will present me with great joy!

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.  Revelation 19:17

Verse 18 goes on to say that the bride is wearing fine linen which is righteousness.  It has been given us to wear by the sacrifice of Christ.  I am working on a blog about clothing now...will post more later-but for now just note that Christ's sacrifice makes us ready!

The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less. John 3:29-30

We, the bride of Christ-belong to Him! We are his and cannot be snatched from his hand.  We can choose not to focus on Jesus, but He still loves us.  Jesus is still captivated by his bride-just as the prince was in the movie.  He was still singing to Giselle even when she lost interest. 

You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride; you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace. Song of Solomon 4:9

The bride of Christ 'stole His heart' before we were even born-He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world!!! He will never give up on us even if we don't remember His promises.  Today my Z whispered in my ear "you are a princess, mommy-that will make your day better"!  What a sweet reminder!!! You too friend are a princess (or prince) as well-for your Father is the king of kings and you are the bride of the Prince of Peace.  Think about that!! 

The end of Beth Moore's teaching on Life Today confirmed what God was speaking into my heart this week.  There is a happily every after...My God will make all things new!!
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  Matthew 25:34

This happily ever after is brings me much more joy and peace than thinking on a movie (now do you see why I don't do movies ;) I think too much, lol). 
The ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Isaiah 51:11



Lord God,  You're the King of the world.  You've stolen my heart, Yes You have! You've wiped away the stains,and broke away the chains, Yes You have!  You are able to keep my eyes on you and present me holy and without fault in your presence.  Thank you Jesus!! In your presence we become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which we shine like stars in the universe (Phil 2:15) Thank you for your mercy and grace and for the ways you speak your truth and love in my life.  I love you Lord!!!

Thanks for reading this super long blog post...and in case you are wondering I feel better now:) Sorting through feelings in the light of the Word always does that for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...