Saturday, April 7, 2012

Perspective

I smiled when I saw our 'tomb' this morning. It is a reminder to me of the joy we will have in the morning as the girls discover that their resurrection cookie is hollow in the middle just as the grave was empty on that Sunday morning long ago!!
The thought occurred to me that Jesus' first followers would have still felt such sorrow at seeing their teacher's tomb before they knew the whole story. Their vision of it would have been one of dread-I can only imagine how discouraged they might have been. Even though Jesus talked to them several times about what was going to take place to fulfill the plan that was laid out from the beginning of time, they just didn't get it! I am so like His original followers-I wonder if you can relate?
In the midst of discouraging and desperate situations what is your perspective? Do you look around and only see half the story...see death and feel dread like the first followers may have on that Saturday? How can we learn to look past the current circumstances and believe that joy will come? BELIEVE Jesus' words:
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NIV84)
The disciples were devastated and Mary Magdalene was crying as she approached the tomb (John 20:13). But hearing her Savior's voice made this psalm true for her!
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:5b NIV84)

Even when things don't go as we have expected or hoped we can be sure that God has a good plan for us.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV84)
When we hunt for Easter eggs this is the verse I've shared with my girls. We will find our Hope in Jesus when we seek him with the enthusiasm of a child searching for eggs. Each promise we discover is treasure-even more valuable than their candy filled eggs.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...