Sunday, September 11, 2011

How we remember

I tend to be one who ignores feelings that I don't want to deal with.  An ostrich.  I just move on as if nothing happened and everything will be okay.  That's what I have done for a while each time I have lost a loved one.  Ignore it, think it will go away...of course it doesn't.  But maybe the time I took in ignoring it allowed God to build my strength up to handle it-or allowed me to see that He is the one who will walk me through it. 


Of course today is 9/11 and it's a day we will never forget...but I don't really want to remember.  Having a very inquisitive 4 year old, it was impossible for me to completely ignore it-she asks such probing questions.  I was not personally impacted as far as the loss of a loved one on that day, so it was fairly easy to answer her questions without being overcome by grief.  I guess I was able to explain it and look at it from an historical perspective...like something you would read from a history book as if you didn't experience it in your lifetime.  Is the disconnect a good thing?  Am I afraid to really engage in it and deal with the feelings and grief? It reminded me of how I have processed grief in my life....asking myself if I have processed it fully. 



I can't imagine the families of the 9/11 victims (or any other public events) who have to process their grief publicly.  The media coverage-of course we don't want to forget....but to the families who are ready to move on-they will have a hard time ignoring this day.  Thankfully, on the 10th anniversary of the loss of either of my parents, there was no one asking me how I was doing or how it had changed my life.  I am very thankful I was able to handle the grief privately...allowing the Lord to heal me in His way and His time and not need to answer to media. I think the familiese need to know that others care and remember their loved ones, but I can't imagine the whole nation remembering the date and circumstances of that loss.


Praying today for our nation, for those who lost loved ones (on this day or any other) that we will experience Isaiah 61 in our lives. 



1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

This song is God's plan for us in the midst of tragedy...He wants His people to rise!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...