Monday, December 26, 2011

Gifts Worth Receiving

I wonder if any of you stood in long lines today to return or exchange a gift? Maybe it was a thoughtful gift, but just the wrong size....or maybe it was not even thoughtful and something you would never use?

Did anyone have the misfortune of hearing a child complain about a gift just given (hopefully an adult wouldn't say it out loud) ?  Or a child asking if there were more gifts, as if all they just opened weren't enough? 

Thankfully this year, none of the above fits me...but it has before, and very well may again:)

I was thinking...are we like this with the gifts God gives?  Trying to exchange it to "make it fit" or complaining that it's not what so and so has? 

Ouch, I know....

Hopefully instead of ungrateful kids, you got to see some joy and delight! My girls showed plenty of that this year even though we attempted to scale back on gift giving.  
She was sure excited about the book:)
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11 see also Luke 11:13

I find myself still wanting more of God... more of His gifts, His grace, His love and His Holy Spirit. I guess that's not a bad thing- to long for more of Him...but I need to be satisfied with where I am today as I trust Him to mature me and give me His gifts in His timing...

You might have heard Joyce say "I'm not where I need to be, but thank God, I'm not where I used to be. I'm okay and I'm on my way!" I will fix my eyes on Him and trust His promises to perfect my faith-Hebrews 12:2 And I will remember that His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3

I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5 For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— 6 because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. 7 Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.  1 Corinthians 1:4-9

Doesn't that say that as we wait on Jesus to be revealed that we don't lack any spiritual gifts??  Wow!!! He gives each of His children gifts as He sees fit...we need to trust the Giver!    We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. Romans 12:6a

Like our children (who may always ask for more), we need to check our motives...When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James 4:3

Like the prayer we prayed last time in Ephesians...I know this is a prayer that God will answer:
 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ,  filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.  Philippians 1:9-11

So there you go...maybe it is okay to ask for MORE of the gifts He so generously bestows on us...

Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.  John 16:24

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”  Matthew 21:22

I hope today you are able to enjoy the gifts that He has given us....trust the Giver...humbly accept what He generously gives!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...