Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Grace Based Parenting

I started reading this book after deliberation from the first time I picked it up. For some reason it left a bad initial taste in my mouth...but it is making sense now.

Chapter one describes what is meant by the term 'grace based parenting' . It is not as I had originally thought...letting your kids get by with anything using grace as an excuse. Grace based parents are cognizant of the three driving needs of their child:
1. A need for security
2. A need for significance
3. A need for strength
and we strive to meet the needs by giving love, purpose and hope!

At the end of chapter 2 the author, Dr. Tim Kimmel gives an analogy of parents as a lighthouse to their children. He talks about visiting an old lighthouse and being disappointed when he discovers that the light no longer works...it is a dark house. If we don't let our light shine to guide our children that is what we can too easily become. Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Lord please help me to depend on you as my light source. Let me always shine and give me your grace to be the parent you have created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...